Michael Collins aka Don Jazzy has come a very long way as Nigeria’s most decorated music producer and astute music mogul. The name Don Jazzy commands a mammoth amount of influence. Don baba J has produced a long list of first class hits songs, best selling afro-pop albums, headed one of the biggest record labels in Africa, defunct Mo’Hits Records and now Mavin Records. Yes, that makes him such a big deal in the Nigerian music industry.
It will take anybody that aspires to beat his record more than just magic fingers to dwarf his achievements. Why? Because Don Jazzy is not just an ace music producer, he understands the business part of music; he knows how to sell records. At this time in Nigerian music we have very ‘mad’ producers; Pheelz, Young Jonn, DJ Coublon, GospelOnDeBeatz, Masterkraft, DJ Ruffee and the rest too numerous to mention. But the above listed producers have not come close to achieving as much as Don Jazzy, nonetheless they have fabricated viral hit tunes.
This year has revealed quite a few badass music producers like Krizbeatz, DJ Altims, Egarboi, P2J. These guys are the names behind hits like Pana, Oluwa Ni, Standard, Do Like That, Ajaga, Bad.
Out of the lot mentioned I warm up very well to DJ Altims productions. I dare say one music producer to watch. His sound interpretation of afro-fusion is crazy. Only worthy of a protege to Nigeria’s king of sound Don Jazzy. DJ Altims is easily a type of Major Laser.
Altims Beat, born Aluku Timothy, started out as a rapper in his days as a Computer Engineering student in University of Benin. He decided to move behind the microphone after testing himself to improve the contemporary sounds he was hearing on the radio. His rich fusion of afrobeat and hip-hop ensures that he will remain at the top of his game for a long time.
DJ Altims was signed to Mavin Records in 2012. I want to bet my chips on DJ Altims as one music producer who can replicate the massive success of his Boss Don baba J or better still dethrone him. But it won’t all happen overnight.
Here are a few things He should consider if he must be as big as his boss Don Jazzy.
• DJ Altims should try and work with other popular artistes besides the bunch housed under Mavin Records. His production prowess is quite stellar having some hits to his name. This will be a great way to build a formidable catalogue of hits to consolidate him as a household name.
• He should engage better on Social media. This is one huge problem with many Nigerian music producers; they have poor social media following. Don Jazzy has over 1.5 million followers each on twitter and Instagram. A good example to follow.
• He should embark on personal projects. I get it that he is signed to Mavin Records; it shouldn’t all be about Mavin. The more he comes out as a unique person the more recognition he will get. He should embrace the spotlight.
• He should perfect his personal branding. “It’s Don Jazzy Again” branding has benefitted Don Jazzy big time. DJ Altims should copy that to his advantage.
• DJ Altims should master the arts of selling records. He should master the business part of making music. Many a producer has fail here.
• Ultimately he should think of setting of his own record label. While this last point is gargantuan, it is possible. Nothing beats being your own boss and calling the shots. It’s impossible to stretch your earnings working under a boss.
Like I mentioned earlier it won’t happen in a fortnight. It takes hard work, consistency, dedication then one day he will ascend the throne.