Starboy Entertainment artiste Terri since joining his record label has not had a moment he has single-handedly held the Nigerian music industry spellbound. He is yet to give his loyal fans some bragging rights.
However, he still has ample chance to command our attention and most of all earn our respect for his art.
Sometime late in December 2017, a young aspiring music act caught the attention of Wizkid after he made a cover for a song the Starboy was featured in, this young talent is Terri. A few months later in February 2018, he was unveiled as an artiste under Starboy Entertainment.
Shortly after joining Starboy Entertainment, Terri made his official music outing in 2018 on the smash hit ‘Soco‘. His verse on the hit tune was impressive and right off the bat he instantly gained fans. The fans couldn’t wait to hear an entire song done by the up-and-coming singer and many more.
After ‘Soco’, Terri has put out a couple singles like ‘Bia‘, ‘Shuu‘, ‘ One Me‘, ‘Non-Stop‘ and featured on other tunes. None of these personal singles have added another feather to his hat. There hasn’t been any elevation of some sort for him from the status quo. In more vivid terms the boy hasn’t been exceptional or impressive.
While it seems the ‘Bia’ crooner is taking his time to get his A game through the door, apparently two years have slipped by without any significant impression since joining a weighty label like Starboy Entertainment. At this point, the hopes, confidence and believe bestowed on him begin to dwindle, stocks depreciate.
In about the same time period or less, new school colleagues like Fireboy DML, Joeboy, T-Classic and Rema have blown up dropping back to back hits and debut projects.
“To whom much is given, much will be required” – Luke 12:48.
For Terri, time and chance is not lost, all he needs to do is prove that he is worth every bet. The turning point for him could be his forthcoming debut music project ‘Afro Series‘.
By his announcement, the ‘Afro Series’ EP is ready and it’s just a matter of days before the official release, precisely May 8. We hope Terri puts his best materials recorded during the past two years into the forthcoming project.
For someone who has a close working relationship with arguably Africa’s biggest musician Wizkid and being under his tutelage, only greatness would be expected.
Starboy Entertainment music act Terri has a lot to prove with his new music project for the following reasons.
- First he has to do this for himself, because he stands to benefit the most if he drops a banging EP. It is his name that would be written among the stars. He would be able to say ‘put some respect on my name’ with his chest and we’ll so oblige.
- All narratives that he is a fluke, would die a natural death. It would prove he isn’t some lucky kid who got picked by the Starboy.
- It means he can forge his path and be successful independent of sharing the name Starboy with Wizkid.
- Putting out a successful project by all standards would probably make Wizkid take investing in up-and-coming artistes more seriously.
- It’s time to give loyal fans something to brag about. No more promises but results.
With the current vacuum in the Nigerian music industry at this point, an amazing body of work from Terri would mean he has the rare opportunity to hold the entire industry down with banging tunes. Maybe then we can confidently say it’s ‘Terri Time’!
Eyes on the ‘Afro Series’ tape.