One of Nigeria’s finest musicians and entertainer Innocent Idibia was born today 18th September 1975. He is called better known as 2face or interchangeably 2baba. 2baba is arguably called a living legend by many industry folks and fans alike. Some people are of the opinion that ‘Legends are born in September’, that may have little validity judging from the fact that some music G.O.A.T.(Greatest Of All Time) were born in September. Perfect examples are English singer Freddie Mercury, Ray Charles and Nas who were born in September.
Here are 11 cool facts you should know about 2baba as he clocks 41 today.
- Just this year 2016 2face Idibia has announced that he has officially changed his name to ‘2 Baba’
- 2baba has been in the active in the music industry for more than half of his years, being active from 1994 till date (22 years).
- 2baba Innocent Idibia survived a plot on his life. Thursday 4th October 2007 he was shot by men suspected to be hired assassins. As a result, he had 22 pellets in his thigh, because it was a local gun. All pellets were removed successfully after a minor surgery.
- He was the first Nigerian (alongside D’banj), in 2011, to win the prestigious Black Entertainment (BET) awards.
- In 2007, Idibia became the first Nigerian to win a MOBO (Music of black origin) award.
- 2baba was part of history in 2010 as he alongside Kelly Rowland and other African music acts Jozi, Rola, Samini etc., made a FIFA World Cup song “Everywhere You Go” produced by Steven Morales. 2baba also performed at the FIFA 2010 World Cup in Johannesburg’s Soccer City Stadium to the delight of over 500 million viewers worldwide.
- Since 2004 until date 2baba has won himself atleast one award or another every year, his catalogue of awards outnumbers his statutory age.
- 2baba Idibia has just been awarded the chieftaincy title ‘Tafidan Kudendan of Kudendan’ meaning ‘Ambassador of Peace’ by His Royal Highness Galadima of Kudendan Chiefdom for his role in the Vote Not Fight campaign.
- The ‘True Love’ singer, was conferred with an honorary Masters of Arts in Music Degree by Igbinedion University, Okada in 2016.
- 2baba Idibia was formally inducted into Headies Hall of fame when he won the Headies Hall of Fame award at the 2015 Headies awards show.
- Nino Idibia, 10 years of age is 2baba’s eldest son whom he shares striking resemblance, is also gifted in music like his father. Nino plays the saxophone skillfully; he has already been performing at some occasions with enviable applause.