It’s no longer news that the umbrella body of Nigerian artistes has been severely riddled by negative and unprogressive politics for several years, and if the on-going activities are anything to go by, then, the supposed dead Performing Musician Association of Nigerian (PMAN), seems to have bounced back from the grave!
It may interest you to know that members of the 45-man committee instituted by the trade union have been battling hard to save PMAN from the factional groups which have left the union redundant for over four years.
However, penultimate Monday 6th, April 2015, the committee which represents members from the different fractional groups of PMAN converged at the Planet One, Ikeja, Lagos, in order to find a way to forge ahead and bring back the lost glory of the music Union.
The purpose of the meeting was to align with stakeholders in charting the way of returning PMAN to an exalted and effective association for all the stakeholders.
In attendance were Charlyboy, , Felix Duke, Alex O, Jazman Olofin, Coupa Victory, Ochonma, Brown Bread, and many others.
At the end of a very successful and peaceful meeting, the PMAN members and some stakeholders present clearly dissatisfied with the current leadership under Mr. Kelvin Luciano and casted a vote of no confidence after two years of not achieving their mandate.
The communiqué issued after the unanimous decisions of members of the caretaker committee stated that:
1. The mandate of the committee was to reconcile the warring factions and organise a credible elections and for two years now, that did not happen.
2. a. There were series of financial improprieties as all expenses were never receipted for
b. Apart from his (Kelvin Luciano) personal expenditure, he never accounted for all monies collected in the name of PMAN.
3. Committee members were never carried along as there was no reference to committee member for approvals.
4. The designation of the head was ‘Chairman’ but Kelvin Luciano went ahead parading himself as president.
5. He lacked civility and proper conduct of a leader.
6. He never conducted an executive meeting of the committee.
7. It is based on the above points that a vote of no confidence was passed on Kelvin Luciano and Mr. Chris Mba who was his accomplice.
8. By this vote of no confidence Barrister Kelvin Luciano seizes to function as chairman of the PMAN Caretaker Committee with effect from today April 6th 2015
9. In his place Mr. Innocent Ochonma was nominated as the chairman of the committee.
Interestingly, the new inaugurate caretaker committee unanimously proposed Charly Boy, the ex- PMAN president as the Chairman but the controversial showbiz maverick otherwise known as Area FADA rejected the offer hence the adoption of Mr. Innocent Ochonma as the new chairman of PMAN caretaker committee.
Amongst the resolution reached was an urgent and timely need to restructure PMAN and ensure that all the stakeholders benefit from the association under a new leadership.