A bomb which took off at about 9:45 a.m. on Saturday morning has been confirmed by the Nigerian Army as a way of disposing some of its unserviceable ammunition. The army said the explosion occurred as troops authorized to destroy some unserviceable ammunition moved it for destruction in a bush.
Although the military barracks or neighbouring communities were not affected, the spokesperson for the Nigerian Army, Sani Usman, a colonel said two soldiers died in the accident while one sustained injuries.
The Colonel went further to say that normalcy had been restored back to the area being Bassa Local government area of Plateau State. The state has witnessed a series of deadly bomb attacks in recent months. A blast at a bus station in Jos, late February killed 13 people and injured 14 others.