According to a report on BBC website, Morocco has recalled its ambassador from Nigeria, accusing the authorities in of using King Mohammed VI in an election campaign.
Nigeria’s foreign ministry says President Jonathan spoke at length to the Moroccan monarch. The Morocco foreign ministry issued a statement, denying the king had spoken by phone to Nigeria’s President Goodluck Jonathan, as had been stated by Nigeria. The North Africa kingdom denounced such “unethical practices”
Read statement below.
The Nigerian ministry of foreign affairs released a statement on Sunday, denying reports that President Jonathan had been snubbed by King Mohammed because he was trying to curry favour with Muslim voters.
“This information is absolutely not correct as the president did in fact speak to the Moroccan monarch… both leaders spoke extensively over the phone on matters of mutual interest and concern,” it said.
However, Morocco’s foreign ministry responded by saying it wanted to state in the “clearest and strongest terms” that “there has never been a phone conversation” between the two men.
“The kingdom of Morocco expresses its astonishment and denunciation to these unethical practices that are contrary to the spirit of responsibility that must prevail in relations between states.”
As a consequence Morocco’s Abuja ambassador was being recalled immediately for consultations, it said.