When will this stop?
Vanguard reports that at least 300 people were confirmed dead on Monday when Boko Haram gunmen in armored vehicles stormed Gamborou Ngala town in Borno state. According to sources the attackers were armed with dangerous weapons comprising of Armored Personnel Carries , (APC), Improvised Explosive Devices, (IEDs), petrol bombs, assault rifles and Rocket Propelled Launchers (RPGs).
Confirming the incident to BBC Hausa service in Maiduguri, Senator Ahmed Zannah who represents the area at the national assembly, said the invaders spent 12 hours wreaking havoc on defenseless civilians. He said several other persons were also injured in the attack, while almost all the houses and shops in the town were burnt down.
“The attackers stormed the communities in the night when residents were still sleeping, setting ablaze houses, shops and residents who tried to escaped from the fire, were shot. About 300 persons were confirmed dead after the incident, with several others injured. Almost all the houses in the communities were destroyed by the hoodlums who threw Improvised Explosive Devices (IEDs) at the buildings. My brother who was at the scene of the attack told me that the actual number of the dead cannot be ascertained but at least they are up to 300. In fact as we spoke he wept following the high number of the dead bodies which littered the market”, Senator Ahmed Zannah declared.
According to him, the security forces earlier deployed to area, moved to the Lake Chad axis when they received intelligence report that some gunmen were sighted with abducted schoolgirls moving to the area.
“It was just an hour after their withdrawal that the terrorists invaded the town, shooting everyone at sight and setting buildings on fire. So far 200 vehicles and thousands of houses, shops and an outfit of the Nigerian Customs Service, (NCS) were all burnt”, he explained.