Dbanj Interview With Ebony Magazine… What He Said That Ruffled Feathers

Dbanj performing at the event

It’s been rumored for a few weeks, and now almost certain that the Mo-Hits dynamic duo Dbanj & Don Jazzy have split up. Neither have publicly confirmed this, and very noticeable is the fact that Don Jazzy (who is usually very active on twitter) hasnt tweeted in almost 10 days.

As the stories are floating around, Dbanj granted an interview to popular black american magazine, Ebony Magazine. Check out the full interview, and see why a lot of people are getting pretty upset about some of what he said in the interview.

On Sunday (Feb. 19), fans from as far away as Maryland packed into New York City’s Irving Plaza to see D’banj, Nigeria’s biggest Afrobeat star in concert. The self-proclaimed “Kokomaster” hit the stage to screams and even fainting, as one woman sunk to the floor after D’banj touched her hand. Running through his three albums No Long Thing, Rundown Funk U Up and The Entertainer including his international hit “Oliver Twist,” the MC born Dapo Daniel Oyebanjo commanded the stage with waist wines, glittering outfits and jokes about his “Koko,” also known as his manhood.

EBONY.com: How will you break into America’s entertainment scene?

D’BANJ: I’m bringing my culture, my music and preaching the gospel. We’ve been learning from America’s Hollywood scene and other areas in Africa because our continent is developing. We look up to the way you’ve built your industry and we try to do ours in the best that we know. It’s so good to see that Americans appreciate my music so that’s what I’m bringing, just original Africa.

EBONY.com: How did you join Kanye West’s G.O.O.D. Music label?

D’BANJ: I had a concert in Dubai and when we pulled up to the airport’s first class lounge and a hostess ran up to me with a plaque with Kanye’s face on it, asking me to sign it. I said ‘I’m not Kanye West, I’m D’banj but Kanye West is coming? All eyes open.’ Then my manager spoke to Kanye, came back and told me ‘He’ll give you five minutes.’ I walked over — as an African man I’m always prepared — and I played my music ‘Stand Out,’ ‘Fall In Love’ and ‘Scapegoat’ for him on my iPod. Before we knew it, I’d almost missed my flight and he invited me to New York.

Coming from Africa I’m my own manager, I have my own label called Mo’ Hits with my artists Dr. Sid, Wande Coal, Don Jazzy, D’Prince and K-Switch. I own Mo’ Hits and we’ve won numerous awards by the grace of God. Being with Kanye for the last eight months and me leading a successful label in Africa, I’ve learned a lot and I believe people will see what we’re going to do. I signed with Kanye in June and that same month I won the BET Award for Best International Act. My New York concert isn’t done by G.O.O.D. Music, it’s done by Live Nation, meaning I’m already a moving machine. So who better to introduce me to the global world than Kanye West, a crazy genius?

EBONY.com: What is your chemistry like in the studio with West?

D’BANJ: Kanye doesn’t try to change you. He has great ears and great people working with him. I learned the way people do music in America is different, number one, the budget. You don’t have to rush a song, you can take your time. I was glad because I have a studio in my home but I thought I was doing too much. I’ve been working with everyone else on G.O.O.D. Music too and John Legend and I worked together in London recently. It’s been great experience, I just beg people to listen with an open mind.

Source: http://www.ebony.com/entertainment-culture/dbanj-makes-good-music

Article Tags: · ·

Comments

comments

Comments

Comments
  • naijaMusic4ever March 13, 2012 at 11:31 pm

d'banj na first class ingrate

• Warri Boy March 14, 2012 at 3:14 am

Why do I have the impression that this guy is being misquoted?

• Waziri Abdullahi Enebi March 14, 2012 at 4:53 am

Very soon we are all gonna know who the real owner of mo hits record it. I dont know the agreement between d banj and don jazzy but one thing i know is that both are no longer kids in handling the issue of fame and money.

• famochi March 14, 2012 at 5:14 am

if dis is true i’d b shocked..is dis same dbanj dat screamed don jazzy’s whispers…fingers crossed

• Nico g March 14, 2012 at 5:20 am

He didnt just say he owns Mo hits did he?

• abeeola March 14, 2012 at 5:24 am

there are more to what people see and read, Dbanj now dinning with ILL*****TI family will definately go a long way in his relationship with his old friends even his families. We’v heard stories and how life become when you are ready to sell your soul, everything around you become controversies. Am a big fan of D KOKO MASTER but am scared on how things is going.

• ksmart fashion March 14, 2012 at 5:54 am

This is very nice,I luv it.

• chi March 14, 2012 at 8:31 am

i dnt think he actually said dis..this is just one of those ways media tries to make money for themselves..

• Namebedis March 14, 2012 at 10:43 am

Abeg free the guy!! he said absolutely nothing wrong…don’t misquote him. You guys have neither spoken to him nor to don jazzy & you’re saying nonsense…Naija music industry never grow even half una wan kill am already…i taya 4 una shaa!!

• Musa Blaq March 14, 2012 at 12:15 pm

It’s part of d sport, dat’s juz d way d game is. If D’Banj could fetch more cheda 4 mo’hits wit dat statement, den everything is fine. He’z juz foolin d Americans 2 reinstate his status, u kno say e no easy 2 rapour wit kanye west dem… Na so e juz be!

• paul March 14, 2012 at 2:38 pm

dbanj ur fucking up! Wake up

• toks March 14, 2012 at 4:00 pm

Can’t fit put mouth 4 dis mata!I’ll jus sit and watch hw it ends seekin to knw wus d boss btw “don-baba-j” and “kokomaster”

• Olukoya seun March 15, 2012 at 1:37 am

Dint he just say “I WON the BET”? #Arrogance! Mr man, Kanye only gave you a share of 2face’s award! We all know the truth….

• hotty March 15, 2012 at 8:19 am

Am just gonna be α spectator on this matter,can’†̥ wait †o see how everything unfolds

• idsiyan March 15, 2012 at 12:17 pm

They are human being, nothing wrong having misunderstanding but it’s good to reconcile.

• leah k March 21, 2012 at 5:41 am

maybe its publicity stunt cos it’s diff to believe…

• eclipz March 24, 2012 at 5:51 pm

Al doz ppl in suport of dis ingrate…I pity u,pray u dnt end up lyk em.I used 2 lyk em his songs bt I tnk his nt worth it.his just a simpleton he wil soon b sacrificd,I mean very soon lyk aaliya n d rest.if he tnks it worth it…FYN.Yoruba dunce

• miss dee March 28, 2012 at 3:34 pm

D guy was probably misquoted. Luk 4 d original interview b4 u judge. Nt a fan, but I did love d combination of Dbanj n Don jazzy. Shit happens, though. Change is d only constant tin in life.

• ajebowale adebayo April 16, 2012 at 12:01 pm

the comment was excellent d'banj u are the best man and u play matured in ur interview,i believed u all the thing u say and nobody can say u are wrong because u know the in and out of u and don jazzy, nobody can say nothing about u people, so becareful, u doing so well don't let them put u to problem, u say what u no keep it up ife mi, i will never live u,we are soul mate so be good in all u do because u have a good heart, no one can change u u are a chosen one with all my love ajebowale oyebanjo adebayo d'banj.