Forbes Africa published a list of the 40 Most Powerful celebrities in Africa and guess who’s on the list? A wide range of people including actors/actresses, movie producers, writers, athletes & supermodels.
The list is topped by our very own Chinua Achebe whose novel “Things Fall Apart” is one of the most acclaimed novels internationally and is used in literature classes all over the world. Others ranked in the top 40 include Chelsea football star, Didier Drogba, Wole Soyinka, Cameroonian footballer Samuel Eto, Yvonne Chaka Chaka & Nigerian Actress Genevieve Nnaji.
3 Nigerians make the top 10 list – Chinua Achebe (1), Wole Soyinka(7), & Femi Kuti(10) – making it the most from any country in the top 10. 11 Nigerians are featured in top 40.
Other Nigerians in top 40 include Genevieve Nnaji (19), Chimamanda Adichie (32), Tuface Idibia (34), P-Square(35), Don Jazyy (36), Dbanj (37), Nneka (38) & Asa (39).
In total 11 Nigerians are featured as the most powerful celebrities in Africa. Roughly above 25%.
Can we raise our Nigerian Flag up high? Yes we can… Whoop Whoop!!
Here is the top 10 list:
1. Chinua Achebe, 80, Novelist (Nigeria)
2. Youssou N’dour, 51, Musician (Senegal)
3. Didier Drogba, 33, Footballer (Cote D’Voire)
4. Angelique Kidjoe, 51, Musician (Benin Republic)
5. Akon, 38, Musician (Senegal)
6. Wole Soyinka, 77, Playwright (Nigeria)
7. Salif Keita, 62, Musician (Mali)
8. Yvonne Chaka Chaka, 46, (South African)
9. Oumou Sang, 43, Musician (Mali)
10. Femi Kuti, 49, Musician (Nigerian)
For the list of the full top 40 visit the Forbes website.