Top 5 Nigerian Female Singers

If you’ve been on twitter over the 2 past months, you’ve probably seen all kinds of top 10 rapper lists. From MI, to DJ MightyMike, to Ovie of NotJustOk, and DJ DeeMoney. Everyone had some sort of top 10 rapper list, and various opinions were brought as well as rebuttals. That’s all good and dandy, and I’m not going to drop another rapper list for you. I think by now we know who is hot and who’s not. Instead I’ll be shedding love to the ladies of vocal power in Nigeria. Too often we get caught up in this male dominated industry that we forget that the women are also making their impact in there.

This list is not an attempt to diss anyone or neglect talent, and for the most part it’s my opinion (Aribaba). I did however get validation from a mini sample set of music listeners to get a more refined list. This isn’t really a popularity contest, so just because someone is popular doesn’t mean she will be number 1. Without too much long gist, here goes…

5. Eva D’Diva

In some ways, folks might be puzzled by my #5 pick, but like I said earlier, this is far from a popularity contest, and so in my opinion and the opinion of a few others, Eva D’Diva (EVAEZI OGORO) deserves to be on here. After listening to her song “God Hand” a few months ago, I was more than convinced that she has to be one of the top female voices in Nigeria. Here’s a little kicker though; 13 years ago her voice box was crushed after a ghastly auto accident. Today, her voice can move furniture in a banquet hall. Under her belt are a slew of hits including “God Hand”, “Na So”, “Mo Fe Be.” She’s been nominated for numerous awards, and has nice collection of hardware in her possession. Don’t take my word for it though… Check her out on our music player & on you-tube.

4. Waje

The first time I heard Waje (Waje Iruobe) on P-Square’s “Do Me” I wasn’t really moved in all honesty. I guess the gbedu aspect of the jam kinda drowned her vocals out, but then years went by, and then I heard “For A Minute”, “Thief My Kele” by Banky W, “So Inspired” and a few other features, and I was sold on her. She has that star factor that any singer wants; A consistent voice that never disappoints. My favorite work from her is “So Inspired.” Her album is one I’m definitely waiting for. Doubt me? Check her out. She’s all over this site.

3. Omawumi

*Sigh*. My beautiful, wonderful crush, Omawumi (Omawumi Megbele). If I wanted to do partia I’ll put her at #1, but I’ll refrain from that. Omawumi has probably had the biggest year of anyone on this list, and for good reason. Omawumi the semi finalist of West African Idol 2007, burst into the scene shortly after the show, and gave us a wonderful track, “In The Music” where she seriously stamped her name in our minds as a voice to be reckoned with. I don’t really think I need to justify this pick too much. The proof is in the music. Her songs, Love Nwantinti, Today na Today, and Niger Delta speak for themselves. Probably my favorite work from her is what she did on Da Grin’s “Thank God”. Her hook took that song from a level 8 to a level 12. Omawumi na pure talent and there’s no denying that.

2. Asa

If this was based on success alone, Asa would be #1. She is probably the most successful female artist of the past 2-3 years. Hit after hit, she’s proved that she is here to stay. I see her being very relevant in the next 10 years. With Asa it’s not just about the vocal ability, but the intangibles she possesses with her music. She is a musician in the true sense of the word. 2 albums under her belt, and multiple hits including, Jailer, Be My Man, There’s a place, Fire On The Mountain… I mean do I need to continue? No I don’t. You get the point.

1. Lara George

I have a feeling some people might jump on my #1 pick, but nah that one concern you…jk. I’ve seen a lot of performers live, including some on this list, and no one… I mean no one (no offense to other singers) can hold a candle to Lara George on stage. This gospel artist flies under the mainstream radar, but anyone that has heard her sing knows that she’s the real deal. Her hits include “Nobody Like you”, “Ijoba Orun”, “Forever in my heart” just to name a few. Still not convinced? Just ask a friend that was at the Nigerian Entertainment Awards 2010 in New York. They are all living (i hope) testimonies to her vocal power on stage. Or better yet, ask the good people at BET; Yes she was featured on BET Now earlier this year. Check out my #1 female singer in naija Lara George – Nobody Like You.

Close calls in no particular order:

Tiwa Savage – Still waiting for an over the top tune from her. Solid work so far though.

Lami – Love her work. If this was top 7 she’d definitely be in it.

Chidynma – One more song from her that is 80% as good as Obimmo and she’ll jump to #3 for me.

Well there you have it. My top 5 female singers in Naija. This is mostly my opinion with some input from a few music listeners I know. I don’t expect everyone to agree with me… actually I predict only about 20% of the readers of this post will agree with me. So you have an issue? Drop a comment and let me know what your top 5 is, or who you are pissed off is not on the list. Or maybe you feel I know nothing about music… Let me hear it. I would insert 9ice’s famous line, but it’s getting played out. Peace.

*Look out more top 5s*

Article Tags: · · · · · · · · · ·

Comments

comments

Software Engineer, Web Developer, Promoter, Blogger, and pretty much a jack of all trades and master of 2. Writes a variety of topics, ranging from Social Issues in Nigeria, to Relationships, and even Random Rantings (both serious and humorous)... follow me on twitter

Comments

Comments
  • Bush Girl November 2, 2010 at 4:21 am

Aribaba u don try. Lara George definitely deserves the top spot. the rest can be mixed up from 2-5 for all i care.

• femi November 2, 2010 at 4:34 am

Hmmm…I like ur choice but are we talkN about performance? If so…omawumi no reach Waje and Waje no reach EVA. Lara has a great voice but as for her stage???? I haven't seen it…so I'll reserve my comments. Waje and omawumi sound sooo much alike…they have good voices but nothing extrordinary and if wot u say about EVA's accident is true and she can still pull off that God Hand song…then SHE deserves to be #1.

• essential November 2, 2010 at 4:43 am

Lara for no 1??? Lai lai…its gonna have to be Asa for me joooor. Ahn..everything about her screams "deep" and "unique"… As for omawumi and waje…I don't know who is who when they sing…they sound too much alike .. I see it as lack of vocal personality…I have watched both on stage and as much as I love wot our girls are doN…I wnt go out of my way to watch a Omawumi or Waje concert. I'd push lara to 2 and Asa to 1…den EVA to 3. Her 'God hand' video brought me to tears…the girl makes me curious abt her in her performance. I wud def go watch her. However..if we talkN success… #1 ASA #2 Omawumi #3 Lara den I'm not sure abt Eva or Waje but Waje seems to be more popular dan EVA…for now.

• Temi November 2, 2010 at 5:03 am

I'm not sure about your #1 choice, but good list. I think Mo'chedda should be a close call as well..

• Anny November 2, 2010 at 5:39 am

They all rock big tym weather 1-5 or 5-1, weldon girls.

• Jullsss November 2, 2010 at 5:39 am

Kefee shouldn't just be on this list but top dis list if it has to do with Nigerian female vocalists

• disapprove November 2, 2010 at 5:54 am

eva ,waje,omawumi won't stand a chance on my list. I would have Kefee,Asa,Nneka,Lara & maybe mo

• montegomery November 5, 2010 at 3:19 am

that shows how little you know of music… Nneka is a screamer… she no dey sing. Na so tay scream she dey scream. Mo' Cheddah care.. look… na so tay auto tune dey ALL her songs… u cant give her a Whitney Houston type track to sing… we are not looking for little Miss popular. We are talking of DIVAs who can rep Naija ANYDAY!!! NA wa for you oooo. Check the posted links of the ladies in question before you talk out your ass lol

• angeleyes November 2, 2010 at 8:09 am

Ok…not that I disapprove of the list..but I wonder…wots about the likes of Kefee, yinka Davies and co? I also honestly think that waje and omawumi shud share one spot..I really don't see the difference in the two of them.so if they must be on d list…they shud share one spot. I also think lara and asa shud swap. Ah ahnnnnn…lara na pikin to Asa in originality, distinction, song writing and stage presence. As for Eva..I tink her story is amazing…I sooooo love that 'God hand' video…I found myself in deep meditation after I watched d video. She certainly deserves to be on dis list.

• Quiet November 2, 2010 at 8:32 am

Kefee would be 1st on my list.

• TJBaba November 2, 2010 at 8:36 am

New name I'm putting out there – Lindsea/Lindsea. Check out her new song, "Drift Away", which I'm hearing may feature X.O Senavoe on the release/single/remix… either way: LINDSEA!

• stick with the truth November 2, 2010 at 12:59 pm

Are you guys kidding me? We are talking naija singers are someone is mentioning Mocheddah. I appreciate all she has achieved in a short while but that girl on the list would be an insult to all the ladies mentioned over here. These are real vocalists, not some nasal wannabee singer whose real talent is little miss autotune.

Lara George should be N0 3, so she blew you away at NEA, so what? have you seen the other girls perform, some of them blew people away sometimes too, they all have their great moment.

so i would help you arrange them in the most correct format.

1. Asa (it would be crazy to put anyone else in this spot, really crazy)

2. Omawumi (She wasnt a semi-finalist on Idols, she was a finalist. She got to finals with Timi Dakolo before he won and she was 1st runner up and since then girl has wowed us on with her great music.

3. Kefee (How could you miss this talented lady. I doubt if you did any research at all.)

4. Lara George: Now she can have a mention. If she was that fantastic, why didnt she make it pass Idols west africa top 24. The same one Omawumi came 2nd.

5. Waje: She hasnt achieved much but for those vocals, i'd knock her off Eva. Waje is simply fire.

other divas trying who didnt make the list: Tiwa Savage(in a year time, maybe she'd be ripe enough), Nikki Laoye,Ibiyemi, Nene,Airis, Justina

• parols November 3, 2010 at 4:40 am

Bump Eva off??? R u out of ur mind? First of all…kefee does not sound like a professional singer…she lacks stage presences…without timaya on dat her kokoroko track…wud u remember her name. A backup singer can do wot she does. We r talkN about a 'wow'in dem wich kefee does not have and as for waje.I agree wit d rest..she and omawumi are d same, therefore removing her from MY own list. Nobody shud just call Mo'Cheddah. Adults dey talk..u dey call pikin…mscheeeeeeeew. Eva's story is amazing…if she rily had dat accident…omo dat babe shud be in that list no doubt. Keep an eye on her…she's gonna take Naija but surprise

• Ronkizzy November 2, 2010 at 2:15 pm

Please Chidynma should not be on the close call list… she should actually be on the list. I mean, have u heard her Obimmo song? That alone should earn her a spot on the top 5.

I agree with most peeps… Asa should take the top spot from Lara… as in not even close.

Good list sha… at least you got the females some much needed exposure.

• Gino November 2, 2010 at 9:55 pm

Asa should be the first on me list. she so poetic and very good. I love u asa

• iTalk November 3, 2010 at 12:24 am

Una forget Kel and Naira ehn…..

Okay o….

• Name November 3, 2010 at 1:45 am

Well d list is ok. but i think mo'chedda should be dere and even she should be d no 1 because currently mo'chedda is d mama of all

• kelu November 3, 2010 at 10:40 pm

Pls guys..let's b objective with our comments..atleast Jaguda.com was kind enough to post links to their works…let's check dem out before yabbing someone.Personally…as much as waje is a great vocalist…she lacks originality…she and omawumi. They sound so much alike that it is no longer funny.if I had omawumi to perform at my show,I wouldn't need Waje…which is not a good thing for her. They both LACK a distinct sound. Lara rily can sing but I don't tink she deserves the top spot. The caption is TOP ARTISTE!!! Not TOP VOCALIST. That means we r talking about vocals, performance, stage presence, appeal and a number of stuffs which a lot of us are not taking into consideration. ASA definitely is d mama of them all…no doubt, let's not even talk too much. Going through the materials posted…I will bump EVA to d 2nd place…I don't know her but her performance in that 'God Hand' video is simply breath taking…honestly. The story of her accident is also one that makes me give kudos to her. For a lady to have crushed her voice box before but still pull this off…hats off to you babe. I agree…keep an eye on this one. I don't think Kefee has an international appeal..I mean..I don't tink she is a proper representation of Naija..dats why I agree dat she shudnt b on dis list. Lara's voice is lovely like I said earlier…the high nature of her vocals subliminally gives a feeling of Euphoria, which is why people feel so moved by her on stage NOT that she has a strong stage presence…trust me. As for omawumi… Na area swag she dey run on. Folks just remember her personality and that's what they fix in her mind when she sings.This is thus MY PERSONAL opinion ooooo. U don't have to agree wiv it :)

• lala November 3, 2010 at 10:42 pm

Pls pls pls…Lami shudnt be anywhere near this list jor. Dat girl no sabo sing. I would gladly bumb her off for Kefee or Ibiyemi.

• isemwen November 3, 2010 at 10:48 pm

I love wot my Niger Delta girls r doing…I hail o. I just watched EVA's God Hand video…infact I watched it 3times lol. I like the babe o. No unecessary formings or over trying to pull off one kain yeye sex appeal wey most of these ladies dey fall their hands they try do. For my own list #1 ASA #2 EVA #3 OMAWUMI #4 WAJE #5 LARA. I like omawumi's swag.Na area babe all di way.

• Godwincnn November 4, 2010 at 5:08 pm

fake list. LMAO

• onyema November 5, 2010 at 3:26 am

i loooove this list. My girls ASA and EVA are on it… keewwwwwwwwwwwl. I think WAJE also REALLY deserves to be on it… the babe dey sing gaaaaaan. well done JAguda

• bukky November 5, 2010 at 3:36 am

Lara no suppose bi no 1 jor… ah ahnnnnnn

• tplusf November 5, 2010 at 9:23 pm

thank God Asa was on ur list…. woulda cry *wolf*

• Mor'Shola November 7, 2010 at 8:15 am

Trust me Asa is d bomb….

• Amaha November 10, 2010 at 10:06 am

I follow stamp this list! Very correct deductions! I should be considered for your next list tho. :-] Check out my music: http://www.amahaonline.com

• Hugo January 4, 2011 at 10:55 am

Asa is d No.1 female Artist in Nigeria…… where is Sasha P on d list?

• T January 24, 2011 at 6:00 am

There definitely woulda been no Lara George on my list. I don't think I would even be able to complete my list. I'd probably go with Asa, Seun Oni (Saeon), Iye, erm… The rest would probably be people I know personally.

• Rita April 3, 2011 at 1:29 pm

Well i wld ve picked ASA as my #1,cos her kind of songs jst takes u der and u wish d song neva ends. As 4 OMAWUMI n WAJE, these girls ve something 2 offer anytime anyday. I luv d fact dat LARA GEORGE came bck strong to d music scene. Ur top 5 ws ok bt i think ASA wld ve bin #1 n LARA GEORGE #2

• deejay kings May 19, 2011 at 4:51 am

Wonderful list Απϑ really wound ve done D̶̲̥̅ same Ȋ̝̊̅f only we r LƠ̴̴̴̴̴̴͡.̮Ơ̴̴͡king at it from some1 nt from 9ja.

• Ossy Achievas August 11, 2011 at 4:53 am

1. ASA
    2 .OMAWUMI
    3. WAJE
    4.KEFEE
    5. TIWA
    THIS IS MY CANDID OPINION.

OSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!

• realmusic November 2, 2011 at 4:35 am

1:Asa
    2:waje
    3:omawumi
    4lara george
    5:eva da diva.
    no TIWA cos she cant sing a good voice has nothing to do with good music,she has nice tunes but cant really sing….yup i said it

• Koketso January 15, 2012 at 1:47 pm

Looking 4 track i dnt knw its name bt it goes like muta e bole masoso………… Banky w is on the video

• Anna April 19, 2012 at 3:34 am

Wat are u guys talking abt ? Dis is just trash 2 me. Well as 4 me my first five will be : 1) Tiwa savage. 2) Chidinma , winner of MTN Project fame. Her kedike and jankoliko song are amazing. 3) Asa. 4) Omawumi. 5) Eva

• sup June 2, 2012 at 8:18 pm

so much ratings,listen luvs just appreciate dem all its not easy. They are all gud and unique,fnx

• kc February 4, 2013 at 5:46 pm

are we not talking about divas here, what is our basis for defining divas, is it by their vocal power or stage presence, let us define this before we make conclusions. they are all talented and creative artist. u should’nt choose an artist because u like their kind of genre. so for vocal power i think i will go for lara george then waje, omawumi, then asa. am not saying asa is not tight. she is full of lyrics and has very unique vocals but singing high note is not her style. as for waje and omawumi they are both amazing. as for me they don’t sound alike i can differentiate them when they sing. omawuni has a deeper and heavier vocals and waje pitches more than omawumi but we should know they are both unique, wait till u here them do a collabor together.as for eva is a rapper not a vocalist. pls no body here should mention mocheddeh, if you want to hear a vocalist hear their raw voice. finally if we ll call eva a vocalist then i will be not surprised to see davido one day as best male vocalist lol.

• zeeeE May 2, 2013 at 3:52 am

Lol, owkai, some comments here are inspiring, but currentli, dis 2013, here is my own list!…Omawumi,Tiwa savage, Asa, Goldie,stormrex.

• bella_cutey March 28, 2014 at 3:38 pm

dz list z fuckin old jawe….2014 d list z tiwa….chidinma…..omawunmi….lara…..waje…..